Saturday, June 20, 2015

My Dog, the Leper


Two weeks ago I noticed that my dog Bear-Bear had something that felt like syrup in his fur. After feeling tiny bumps on his skin under the sticky fur I realized that something wasn’t right so I shaved the area, revealing a very gross-looking patch of raw skin. I thought he had a chemical burn so I took him to the vet and was informed that my dog had a large hot spot. The vet gave me pills and a crème to treat my dog.  For the next few days I was attempting to nurse this area. Within two days, instead of getting better, the hot spot preceded to mutate and grow all the while oozing foul yellow puss and smelling up my entire home. I called the vet and asked “Is it normal for this to happen?” The vet told me to give it a few more days. 
Thank you Google for the suggesting socks to keep him from scratching and screw you for not explaining that the socks only stay up with duct tape. For several days, Bear-Bear walked around like he was stepping on lava doing a strange sort of shamanistic doggy dance while trying to get accustomed to the strange cloth wrapped around his paws. In a way his doggy dance reminded me of synchronized swimmers having seizures in the pool. 
My dog, deciding to be the asshole that he is and needing extra love during his time of need, made it a point to wipe his gook off on my clothes any moment that he could, especially right after I changed outfits. Of course running away screaming only encourages him to chase after me with a wagging tail and this point he was looking more and more like he had leprosy. Have you ever had an English Mastiff chase after you with an oozing, infected head? It’s horrific. I felt like I was being chased by a furry Godzilla wearing socks duct-taped to his legs. 
When I realized that the socks weren’t working, I Youtubed videos on what I should do because I was absolutely clueless and the vet didn’t seem to be providing good advice. After watching a few veterinarians bob their overly-teased heads around on my cracked computer screen, I decided to go with suggestion #3: The Cone of Shame. I went to the pet store and found the largest cone that was available in the obnoxious shade of Barney purple and wrapped it around my dogs head, then stood back to admire the new walking, drooling, four-legged, slightly cock-eyed satellite dish. My dog looked up at me with a look of absolute disgust and within a few minutes I realized that his next move was slamming his cone-imprisoned head into EVERYTHING. Now at first it was funny to see Bear-Bear walking around like a drunk collage girl at a frat party, but when he started knocking everything off of my desk-including my computer screen, it was not so funny. Initially I thought that he was doing this by accident, but after the third time of knocking everything off of the desk, I began to suspect that this was actually a strategic war tactic to seek revenge on the evil cone-buying monster he believed to be his two-legged, furless, biological mother. 
After a week on the antibiotic, the prescribed crème, bactine, hot spot anti-fungal spray, and the cone of shame along with socks on all four paws, the infection only seemingly got larger, smellier, and spread now to his entire face. I took my dog back to the vet where they had to shave his fur into a haircut that oddly reminded me of a tonsure haircut found during the medieval times in western Christianity. The veterinarian sent me home this time with extra strength massive horse pills that I believe even an elephant would have a hard time swallowing and an anti-fungal shampoo that is ironically tutti-frutti scented. Although this medication seems to make my dog believe that he must drink copious amounts of water and now I’m pretty sure he’s single-handed responsible for the California drought. It is at least making him appear less like a leper and more like the furry monster that I adopted. 
I can tell he is feeling a bit better because today when I came home, I wasn’t even able to open the door more than two feet before feeling a happy kiss on my hand and looking at the giant tail wagging dog that I call my 4-legged son. No matter how gross things get, and they have been challengingly vile and drippy, I will always be there to nurse him back to health.     
                                                               On the way to the vet
 

No comments:

Post a Comment